Sunday, February 7, 2016

Collaborative Structures

February Focus: Collaborative Structures
As an instructional coach I am blessed with the opportunity to see so many wonderful things occurring in classrooms. Students being challenged, being required to justify answers, and becoming the stakeholder in their own educational success. As I prepare for a Socratic Seminar in fifth and sixth grade, I must reflect about what ables students to speak appropriately to one another while staying on topic and really taking ownership in their discussion. NOT my discussion, their discussion. That last statement alone challenges me as an educator, so many times I want to control the discussion to make sure certain observations are made and topics discussed. HOWEVER,  as we prepare our students to become college and career ready, I have to remember that it is not about me. It is about the students taking the ownership in their own learning, while I guide the students and create the environment for these “ah-has” to take place. That is our challenge as an educator, to set the stage for great learning to occur.
Collaborative structures are one great tool to support you as you build the stage for learning.“Engagement goes up, as does joy in learning and achievement scores.” Dr. Spencer Kagan (Kagan Online Magazine, Summer 2008) Interested in learning more about Kagan, check out This article from Dr. Spencer Kagan.
If you haven't tried Kagan before, you may be asking where to start, so we will start with two of the essential five, Rally Robin and Round Robin! Both of these structures allow for communication and social skills, knowledge building of the required content, as well as processing and thinking skills.
Rally Robin is a quick easy structure that allows students to share thoughts and knowledge back and forth.  If you would like to see an example click the link to access a short two minute video of me modeling it! (In reflection, I would have had the students make a bulleted list of their facts before they began sharing.) Rally Robin Link
Rally Robin Procedures:
  1. Teacher poses question to class.
  2. Students compile a bulleted list.
  3. Teacher sets a specific amount of time on timer.
  4. Two students share their list “rallying” back and forth.
    1. I have always made a rule that if you run out of things to talk about before time is called, you must either repeat something you said or your partner said.  This puts the accountability back on the students to make sure they are listening to one another.
    2. At the end a great way to make sure students students are actively listening to each other is ask for a share out of what their partner said. (Though tell them you expect this before the Rally Robin begins so they are set up for success.)
Round Robin is very similar to Rally Robin, except it involves a small group as opposed to just two people.
Round Robin Procedures:
  1. Teacher poses question to class.
  2. Allow for think time.
  3. Teacher sets a specific amount of time on the timer.
  4. Students go around the table sharing their responses orally.

These two strategies are an easy and quick way to begin incorporating collaborative structures into your lesson. For full engagement where students take ownership of their learning, every single lesson should include a collaborative strategy. If you are still uncomfortable with these strategies please contact me and we will set up a model lesson or a peer observation.


How will you use Rally Robin and Round Robin this week? Reply to our blog with a few ways you will use EACH structure this week.

12 comments:

  1. Due to district assessment requirements this week, I think I will try and incorporate Rally Robin during morning meeting. I will post a question on the board and as the children enter the classroom, they will read it, think about it, and respond to their table group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be utilizing the Rally Robin strategy with a writing picture prompt. The students will create a bulleted list, then share with a partner what they wonder, feel, and think! The students will engage in a Round Robin discussion answering higher order thinking questions after analyzing a text!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be using Rally Robin for the students in science. To hear their/each other's prior knowledge on the topic this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Math I will use Rally robin. I plan to use this with fractions. I want them to think about when they have seen, used, or could use fractions in their life. When lists are completed they will complete Rally Robin with a partner determined by me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cleveland here. I will use Rally Robin to allow students to comment on what they noticed about the music video I play for them each day. We are studying different instruments in the four instrument families. They always have a lot to say, and this will give them an outlet to discuss what they see and hear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been using rally robin to help us practice math fluency during math sit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For Kinder, I think I would use it for sight word practice. Either having them hold flash cards or picking a word they know how to spell of the top of their head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like in first grade, I often use the strategy Round Robin, without knowing the actual term. I also use the "turn and talk" method to discuss lots of things, from the anchor text we are reading, to the problem of the day in math, to how people use the Earth's land and water in Science. I could begin to write the question on the board to formally use Round Robin. It would have to be heavily modeled if I were to set 3 to 5 minutes on a timer, as many first graders might get side tracked with the conversation topic and question posed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will use Rally Robin with my Reading SIT group allowing them to write down and comment on what they notice about a specific picture. This will help them with their writing skills, discussing what they see and support their objective for this week of writing a fictional story. (Diaz)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will use Rally Robin with my 5th grade reading students when they a complete a list of the different character traits Ruby Bridges exhibited in the book. I will use Round Robin with my 6th grade reading students during DBQ's while analyzing different documents as a group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used both these strategies with my 1st grade SIT group. Students used Rally Robin to take turns reading sight words I have posted. We used Round Robin when discussing author's purpose. The author's purpose in the book they read was to inform so students took turns stating facts they had read.

    ReplyDelete